Sunday, June 13, 2010

Messing – just a little – with an old favourite


I don't often mess with the classics – those recipe copied onto cards from my Mom's books in the days when I felt only the very faint beginnings of an interest in cooking. I pull these out when I need a quick and always delicious basic and want nothing more. But, on Friday I wanted biscuits. I wanted them to be quick, like Mom's classic Baking Powder Biscuits, but with a different flavour somehow. More flavour. So I dared to mess with the recipe. And the results were so yummy, I felt the revision was worth sharing. It's a minor enough departure from the original that I think it may replace it for me. They're not all that different, but better.

I replaced half of the white flour with a combination of whole wheat flour and cornmeal, and added sesame seeds to the top. But, I'm sure you could try other flours here too, or different toppings. As with the originals, these are heavenly when just baked, warm, flakey, buttery. Eat them all on the first day, or possibly the second – they won't be good much longer than that. I had these with baby lima bean and chipotle soup and radish salad for Friday's lunch, and then with plum jam for breakfast on Saturday. They were perfect in both cases.


Quick Multi-Flour Biscuits
1 1/2 cups white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 tbsp baking powder
6 tbsp cold butter
3/4 cup buttermilk, yogurt, or sour milk (3/4 cup milk with 1 1/2 tsp white vinegar added)
sesame seeds for topping

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in butter until butter pieces are evenly integrated and the mixture has the texture of coarse meal.

Add the milk and mix until the dough holds together.

Turn out dough onto counter and knead briefly. Roll out to 1/2" thick. Cut with a glass or cookie cutter. Arrange fairly close together on a lightly greased baking sheet. Top with sesame seeds.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum, yum. love biscuits and corn bread so this is perfect combo.
GB

Meg Whetung said...

I thought you'd like these GB! I'll have to make them for you sometime soon...