Monday, March 08, 2010

Tonight's dinner: roast kale and sunchokes with tahini sauce


Now that it's Monday, I'm back on my post-Olympic detox. I've been serious about eating whole foods, keeping things simple, and now throwing in some super-foods whenever I can (after an interesting nutrition consultation with Adam Hart last week that yielded both good reminders and new ideas). Not much luck in extending this to the weekends yet, but I'm okay with that. For weeknights I'm working on remembering that I can keep things super simple: choose fresh ingredients that my body will like and that I love to eat, and prepare them simply, without too many additions.

That's certainly what I did tonight. During our usual cookie stop at Sprouts over lunch, I scoped what fresh stuff they had from the UBC Farm, and chose a handful of sunchokes and two bunches of kale. Score for not having to interrupt my bike ride home to stop at the grocery store! I figured those two things could become dinner, paired with some brown rice (fits the good for me + I love it criteria) and some kind of sauce.

I had bought a jar of tahini after learning how good sesame seeds are for me – helping me load up on iron and calcium, two things I often miss out on. So tahini dressing came to mind. There's a recipe for it in the cookbook of family faves Mom made me, many years ago now, which most often becomes the best part of homemade falafel, and occasionally a more general salad dressing.

I wondered if my usual tahini-lemon-garlic-cayenne combination was as far as it went, so did a bit of googling which brought up this Chocolate and Zucchini post for Simple Tahini Sauce I remember reading a while ago. Her recipe isn't much different from Mom's, but reminded me to add parsley, and to incorporate the water slowly for the best creamy texture, yum. I still snuck in some cayenne though. Delicious – the perfect combination of rich and earthy.

The sunchokes and the kale I roasted. The former with lemon wedges (based on this recipe for Roasted Sunchokes with Lemon but sliced 1/4" thick and roasted for about 10 minutes on each side) and the later with nothing but a generous drizzle of olive oil as in this Roasted Kale recipe. I'd heard about roasting kale before (my sister raved about it I'm pretty sure), turning it into snackable "chips" and totally wanted to try this. I love kale, but don't find it as effortless to cook tastily as the tenderer chard which I choose more often. Roasting was easy, and the results were both unusual and yummy. This will become my thing to do with kale I think. I could top so many things with these – crispy-tender dark green and oh-so-good-for-you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very interesting post. I have never eaten sunchokes in my life. will have to google them to see what they are!! Eat simple and healthy sounds like common sense to me, except when you want a lemon tart!!
GB