Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Spicy Pea Poached Eggs or Spicy Pea Soup, You Choose!

I'm on my own this week, so I'm cooking for one and wanting cheap and cheerful meals.

Last night was French Onion Soup, tonight I've gone experimental(in-a-what's-in-the-fridge way). Building on Meg's post here is a quick, delicious sauce for poached eggs.

Ingredients: Eggs, Peas, Bread, Garlic, Lemon & Zest, Spices, Salt, Pepper, Oil

  • Toast some bread (leftover French bread from yesterday).
  • Poach some eggs.
  • For the Spicy Pea sauce:
    Sauté a diced clove of garlic with the lemon zest, add 1-2 cups peas (I used frozen peas, reheated with hot water before adding to the pan).
  • Put mixture in blender with a little water,juice of half a lemon, salt & pepper to taste and some spices (I used a mixture of paprika, cayenne, oregano, cumin, tumeric - maybe 2 tsp total), blend smooth.
  • Assemble your plate.

This was delicious, just enough spice to give a great flavour without too much heat. The blended peas were wonderfully creamy. My eggs were somewhere between runny and hard which worked well, covered in this sauce. Total cooking time was 15 minutes.

Come to think of it this sauce would actually make a great soup. You choose, enjoy!

1 comment:

Meg Whetung said...

Michelle, this sauce sounds delicious. And so different – it's not something I ever would have thought of making up. I'm definitely going to try it over poached eggs. As if I need another excuse to eat poached eggs, man.