Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Another Contender for Summer Drink of '09

I bought a Saveur magaizine at the airport last week – it was The Texas Issue, how could I possibly resist – and it delivered, with a recipe for sangria so good that the awesome white sangria I usually make (this recipe from Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson) has been outdone. Of course there's room in my heart for a favourite white sangria and a favourite red sangria, so there's no need to worry. But, I was just so surprised I loved this so much, as I'm usually not that wild about red sangria. It's often too sweet, or not really flavourful enough to wow me.

Saveur's Book Club Sangria has plenty of citrus (oranges, limes, and lemons) to balance the sweetness and add flavour, and the unexpected additions of pineapple and gingerale. It was really good – tart enough, tons of flavour, just the right amount of sparkle. Addictive. We didn't have a large enough pitcher, so made it in a big pot which we carried down to the back deck for easy refills while we ate a late (11:00!) dinner of bratwurst sausages topped with a choka of eggplant, tomato, peppers, sweet onion, and habanero pepper (more about that, and a recipe, to follow soon). The sausages were made nearby in Invermere, our appetites were fueled by a late afternoon mountain-biking adventure (my first!), it was the eve of solstice, the company was unmatched, and the sangria completed the perfection. Ah, why I love summer.

A few notes about the recipe:

  • Wine – we used Cono Sur pinot noir, which turned out to be a good choice.
  • Sweetener – we used agave syrup instead of sugar, so skipped the first step of boiling the sugar and water. We just combined all of the ingredients, using about 3/4 cup of agave syrup for a double-recipe. Taste as you go and add more if you like it sweeter. I love agave syrup because it dissolves easily in cold liquids, making it perfect for iced tea, lemonade, sangria... You can get it at most natural food stores.
  • Fruit – we couldn't get a ripe fresh pineapple, so used canned, and it was still good (would be awesome with fresh, but if you can't get it, don't fear). We also substituted nectaries for peaches, also with good results.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds perfect for hot weather, whatever that is!!!
GB

Anonymous said...

How about some photos of it?? And maybe the mountain bike trip on your photo site?
GB

moyrad said...

This red sangria sounds delicious. I can't wait to try it. I've never read Saveur but will check it out.