Monday, March 09, 2009

Christmas at 145 Rendall Street


Since it snowed today, that means it's still winter, right? And if it's still winter then it's not too ridiculous for me to just be posting about Christmas food now, right? I don't really know where the past two and a half months have gone, but I couldn't let this post slip by. We invented such a delicious new mash this year that it has to be shared. File it away for next year. Or make it this week to make this weird cold feel a little less wrong.

Pureed celeriac was one of those things I kept hearing about and had never tried making. I was curious. So when we brainstormed ideas for different-but-still-classic sides for our Christmas turkey, I saw an opportunity to finally get celeriac into something, namely, the mashed potatoes. We all got excited about the idea of a mixed mash, and decided to throw in this and that as we went along. It turned out fabulous. Tasting it before dinner, we typed up the recipe right away, knowing it was good enough that it had to be preserved (you'll be happy to know the recipe below has not suffered from spending over two months fading away in my head!).


Merry Mish-Mash
(When I was young, I couldn't say "Merry Christmas" properly, and well, we all knew what this mash needed to be called...)
2 lb Potatoes (baby yukon gold)
2 lb celeriac root
1 parsnip
1 apple (Gala)
1/2 cup (or more as needed) unsweetened almond milk
4 tbsp buter
salt and pepper to taste

1. Chop potatoes, celeriac root, and parsnip into 1/2" cubes. Boil until soft.
2. Cut apple into 1/2" chunks or slices. Heat 2 tbsp butter in a small saucepan. Saute apple until very soft and beginning to caramelize.
3. Using a hand blender or potato masher, mash the cooked veggies and apple together, adding milk and butter until creamy and smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In the spirit of happy winter memories, I'll leave you with a few photos from our Christmas breakfast. Christmas morning is one thing we never mess with. Each year, my sister makes Panettone from scratch, with organic orange and lemon peel from the Italian Bakery. All you really need to be perfectly happy is this hot out of the oven with butter. So we keep it simple, usually just eggs and oranges on the side. In recent years we've added soy lattes and mimosas. Pure heaven.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, that was great mash. Now if I only had a chef to make it for me. I love celeriac raw and shredded like cabbage mixed with a bit of shredded carrot, pineapple, and pecans. Yum.
That Christmas breakfast sounds great.
GB

Anonymous said...

It is never too late for Christmas. I just had a Christmas lunch with a friend last week in March!!

Anonymous said...

It is never too late for Christmas. I just had a Christmas lunch with a friend last week in March!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Christmas memories rushing back... now I'm craving that mash and spring has yet to really arrive. I am so glad you recorded the recipe Meg and the photo memories, thanks. Merry Mish-Mash!
Cathie