Monday, November 03, 2008

How to feel glamorous and lazy at the same time


So how do you achieve that delicate balance of dinner moods? Make chanterelle, leek, and goat cheese pie and pear bacon salad, and eat these while drinking white wine and sitting on the floor/couch. The TV should be on. The lighting soft. Voila, glamor and laziness together at last.

Okay, so I guess it's not the height of laziness or anything. But my point is that wrapping anything up in phyllo is really easy to do and feels fancy to eat. All you need to do is pick a few very tasty things to go inside, and use lots of butter. Here's how we did it one Wednesday in October:

My Dad had generously donated a paper bag full of forest-fresh chanterelles he picked over the weekend. He went on a super cool mushroom tour where you get taken out into the forest and taught how to recognize and pick the mushrooms, eat a huge mushroom diner, and come home with untold numbers of chanterelles. Seriously – he was practically begging my sister and I to take them off his hands. Can you imagine? Too many fresh wild mushrooms to deal with! I knew they'd have to show up at Wednesday dinner.

Here are the mushrooms, cleaned and sliced, chillin' out with the bacon for our salad, and some garlic of course:

We sauteed the mushrooms in butter with thinly sliced leeks and garlic. We meant to add wine, but forgot! Argh, well more for drinking.

Alisha preparing the butter for in between the phyllo layers:


Laura holding up a curtain of phyllo, ready to join the others in the pie dish:

After about ten layers of phyllo and butter, we began to lay down the mushroom filling (which had chopped parsley added to it after it was sauteed):


And spread it around to get a nice even layer:

Then the fun part – dolloping on the goat cheese:


And, to finish, more layers of phyllo (I think six on top) and of course more drizzling and brushing on of butter:

The result:

There are times when I've already photographed the meal before digging in, but then I just have to pick up the camera to document it again half-eaten. This was one of those – that decadent filling just had to be exposed! The big fluffy bits of rich cheese, the subtle flavours of the chanterelles and leeks working together, the flaky flaky pastry. I'd eat it again any day...

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hooray! Great posting, and so soon after the dinner in question! Does that mean I better get on that beef stroganoff post?

Can I just say that those chanterelles were amazing, and the pie was sooo tasty. I could eat that every day. And that salad! Fantastic. I'm glad we partook of the wine in some form - you know it would have been a shame to waste it!

claire said...

Wow! That's really all I have to say. Wow and I'm definitely going to try making this some day.