Monday, July 09, 2007

Tacos & Guacamole...MMMmmmm!


When I was a kid, we used to make tacos from a box: hard shells with sauce from a package. I enjoyed them at the time but they are heavy and not nutritious. Since then, I have experienced the authentic flavours of real ingredients and except in moments of insanity I will never look back. Below you will find our recipe for delicious tacos and one for guacamole to be used as a topping or a dip. Enjoy!

In Vancouver, if you need a quick bite try: El Taco (Davie at Howe) which have hearty 1lb burritos and a rich deep-flavoured tortilla soup, Red Burrito (Commercial, Broadway, two on Robson) which have delicious mini tacos and your choice of salsas. If you are looking for a sit-down meal with far more choice and are willing to spend more, I would also recommend Lolita's on Davie with real ginger beer and yummy taquitos and Pepe's on Denman, they make a mean margarita. MMMMMMmmmmmmm!

Tacos
Ingredients

Tortillas (small)
Ground beef (~500g regular or lean)
1 large onion
2-3 chipotle peppers (from a can)
Tomato, chopped
Lettuce, sliced in thin strips
Cheese, shredded (cheddar or goat or whatever
type you like/can eat)
Lime wedge, to squeeze on just before eating
Roasted red/orange peppers (under the broiler
for half an hour or so until skin blistered)
Salsa verde (from a can)
Guacamole (recipe below)
Sour cream (if desired)

Tortillas

1. Wrap the tortillas in foil and seal tightly.
2. Place in oven or toaster oven on 200-250F to warm through
3. When unwrapped they should be soft and pliable

Taco Meat

1. Begin sautéing the beef, then add the diced onion. Stir occasionally while cooking. If you are using regular beef, take out any excess fat that cooks out of the meat, before adding the chipotles.
2. Part way through cooking, add 2-3 chopped chipotle peppers and a tablespoon of the sauce.
3. While the meat is cooking, prepare the toppings.
4. Take one of the steamy tortillas, add meat, dress with your favourite toppings, roll up the bottom and sides and Enjoy!



Guacamole

2 ripe avocados
1 tomato, diced
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro, freshly chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 - 3/4teaspoon salt, to taste
2 cloves garlic, chopped

1. With a fork, mash the avocados in a bowl
2. Add all other ingredients and stir to combine
3. Taste to check salt, add more if necessary
4. If guacamole is not spreadable enough, add more lime juice and stir to desired consistency


2 comments:

Meg said...

I had a hard-shell taco childhood too! So even though I'm lovin' the soft ones now, I occasionally like a good hard-shell taco for nostalgia's sake (and Darryl makes some really good ones!).

That guacamole was delicious. I've always been an avocado-lime-garlic-s&p purist when it comes to guacamole, but this recipe forced me to admit that maybe a few other ingredients couldn't hurt. Yay, new guac possibilities!

And, I have to say that the margaritas at Lolita's are my favourite...

Laura said...

I noticed that some guys were sipping margaritas at El Taco the last time we picked up some burritos there - who knew? Wonder if they're any good? Well, there's only one way to find out!

I like the guacamole when it is hand-mashed and slightly chunkier, and I love it with tomatoes and cilantro. So good! My mom said my aunt Ana made some for a party they went to on Saturday (where empanadas also made an appearance! We definitely have to try those some time) - so I must get her recipe too. And her one for gazpacho. Yum.