Monday, June 25, 2007

Today is a happy day because... I was reunited with the flatbread I love so much

Back in the day Shula taught me to make the most amazing flatbread – light and flaky, with herbs, spices and onions between the layers, and quick enough to whip up while you're preparing something else. I used to make them all the time, and then it just kind of slipped out of my mind. Until last night when I made a giant pot of chunky lentil soup, with tomatoes, coconut milk, zucchini, mushrooms, and Indian spices – the kind of soup that absolutely needed that flatbread. I searched through all of the places a random recipe could possibly be hiding in my kitchen, all the while with a nagging thought that this one was never written down. I didn't find it. So, it was simple enough that it had lived in my mind for years, and yet I couldn't reason my way through it now. Hmmpf.

But, I had a second chance – luckily, I made enough soup that we had leftovers to eat tonight, so when I got home from work, I called Shula right away for the recipe. Of course, she said "there isn't really a recipe for it..." So here then, are the few simple instructions which she kindly reminded me of:

1. In a bowl, mix 2 parts flour with one part water and a pinch of salt. Let sit for half an hour, or however long it takes you to prep the rest of your meal.
2. Meanwhile, melt a bit of butter in a pan. Saute some minced onion with cumin and salt to taste. Remove mixture from pan once onion is soft and translucent, then stir in some chopped fresh mint or cilantro.
3. Shape the flatbread like this:

4. Fry it in a skillet with a little butter, until browned and a bit puffy. Mmmm!
With the leftover lentils and rice, it was perfect:


No comments: