Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The season of food . . . it's not over yet, is it?

So, I did quite a lot of cooking and baking during my holiday stay in Edmonton (I mean, come on, what else is there to do there?), but sadly, I didn't do so much documenting of such culinary exploits. Though if you just ask my family, I'm sure they can vouch for me. It seems as though these Wednesday dinners of ours have greatly helped to improve my skills in the kitchen. However, I still remain fairly clumsy and accident prone - upon using my brand new microplane (just a fancy name for a rasp) to grate chocolate, I managed to grate off part of a knuckle. Oh well. It was all in good fun.

Here are a few pics I took while baking with my mom:

I wanted to show her some of the wonderful recipes we tried back in November. Pictured here: the dry ingredients for Grandma Gordon's ginger snap cookies. Ginger, cloves, cinnamon . . .



The wet ingredients.



The resulting cookies.



Rumballs! They were such a hit. And really, you can never have too many of these, can you?



On Christmas Eve, we usually make a few different yummy things to munch on - one of them being our Indian meat pies. Here I am rolling out the dough. Look, it's actually round!



The meat pies being assembled.



Christmas Eve dinner. An assortment of the goodies including samosas, meat pie, fruit, baked goods, and salad (this year, I tried a new recipe with mixed greens, pears, pecans, and shaved romano - it's my new fave).



What did everyone else make?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, yum! I think we definitely need to add that meat pie to our list for one of these dark January Wednesdays. I could eat it right now . . . (even though I just had a big dinner of roast beef, roast potatos/carrots/onions/mushrooms and graaaaavy). Meat pie, yeah.

Laura said...

Looks fantastic. Particularly the pie & samosas. Are those the kind of samosas you've told us about - not your ordinary samosa? We'll have to try that salad too. These British keyboards are very annoying! We made shepherd's pie today, (wait, is that one shepherd or several?) and I ate all the mashed potato! A miracle! Just wanted to remind you guys (in blog form) of Dine Out - we must book now, before all the good places get booked up. Does anyone want to go to any of the following - Chambar, West, Bistro Pastis or Il Giardino?

Laura

Leeeeesha said...

Yes, let's make meat pies sometime. I'll get the recipe from my mom. And yes Laura, our samosas are quite different from the ever popular large potato- and pea-filled thick-dough version. Ours are meat-filled and surrounded by a thin, crispy crust. You know, I've always wanted to learn how to make the samosa dough from scratch, so that might be something for us to pursue (on a day when we have loads o' time, that is) . . .